Taking steps to improve community relations
Buffalo State's decision to form a committee to address the problems created by careless off-campus residents is a step in the right direction toward improving relations between our school and the community.
It reflects poorly on the school as a whole when noise complaints are commonly directed at off-campus students. While what students do in their non-academic free time may seem like something that shouldn't be the business of the school's, it's important that Buffalo State maintains a positive image within the community.
Informing students of the disciplinary consequences of disruptive behavior off-campus is an important first step to curbing noise and other complaints. The school has taken another positive step by providing a phone number to residents of student-populated areas that can be called in case of problems.
Holding commuters to the same standards of community respect is not an unreasonable idea, as their behavior is a reflection of the school.
We hope these efforts can lead to a more mutual respect of campus and community.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent The Record News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE RECORD NEWS
- We've Moved to www.buffstaterecord.com!
- Obama divulges new higher education initiative during visit to UB
- Ailing Podolefsky steps down as president
- SUNY appoints Cohen interim president
- President Podolefsky announces leave to fight cancer
- Rappers put Pepsi in a bind
- Congrats to grads: take next step with gratitude
RECENT THE RECORD CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone