President divulges cancer diagnosis
College President Aaron Podolefsky announced to faculty and staff that he has been diagnosed with prostate cancer and has begun treatment.
Podolefsky will continue to perform his duties as college president and has an excellent prognosis for recovery, he said.
"I am optimistic, I am on the job serving Buffalo State, and I plan to be here for a good long time," Podolefsky said in an email sent out to college faculty and staff on Sept. 22. "I just may have a different hairstyle for a while."
Podolefsky has begun chemotherapy.
SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher also sent out reassurances to faculty and staff, expressing confidence in Podolefsky and wishing him a swift recovery.
"In my conversation with Dr. Podolefsky over this past weekend, I expressed to him my complete confidence in his ability to meet the demands and responsibilities of his job and reiterated my deep enthusiasm for the leadership, vision and innovative ideas he brings to Buffalo State," Zimpher said.
"I'm inspired by his courage and am confident that his tenure as president will be long and successful," she said.
Podolefsky urged students to talk to their family about prostate cancer awareness.
"Students should encourage male family members over 50 to talk to their doctors about prostate cancer and have PSA (prostate-specific antigen) tests done," he said.
Prostate cancer is the most common form of cancer found in American men, with about one in six men eventually getting the disease, according to information from the American Cancer Society. It usually progresses very slowly and is considered highly treatable if found early.
Jacob Tierney can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Recent The Record News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE RECORD NEWS
- We've Moved to www.buffstaterecord.com!
- Obama divulges new higher education initiative during visit to UB
- Ailing Podolefsky steps down as president
- SUNY appoints Cohen interim president
- President Podolefsky announces leave to fight cancer
- Rappers put Pepsi in a bind
- Congrats to grads: take next step with gratitude
RECENT THE RECORD CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A Better Valentine's Day Gift for Couples?
- Crowdfunding's Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports...
- El Regalo Ideal Para Cualquier Etapa De Tu Relación
- Seeing a Chiropractor First Can Save You Money
- Flu Season Has Arrived: Helpful Tips to Prevent the...
- 2016 Resolutions: Time for an Update?
- GlobalGiving and Athletic Tips Partner to Help Keep Young...
- Share Your Love This Valentine's Day
- From Bratty to Bearable, Global Nanny Jo Frost Tackles...
- Fibromyalgia: The Disease Whose Exact Cause Remains Unknown